Saturday 29 October 2011

Bon Iver at Hammersmith Apollo

When I was about ten years old my dad took me to see my first gig. It was in Brighton and we went to see Sting (before he got all political and Karma Sutra on us). I remember it vividly and it opened me up to the world of live music. Seventeen years later (yes do the maths and you will finally see how old I really am), I took Papa Coco to see Bon Iver and it was great.


The usual three-piece, founded by lead singer Justin Vernon has been transformed into a nine-piece band for the tour and includes two sets of drums, brass and violin players. I have never been to a gig where the entire crowd stood still and in silence, completely gripped by every track performed. A strong mix of new album named simply 'Bon Iver' and firm music fan favourite, debut album 'For Emma, Forever Ago' was played with a few treats such as a very beat heavy version of my favourite track, Bloodbank and an incredible violin solo at the end of Beach Baby.

After seeing Bon Iver at Glastonbury in 2008 it's safe to say I had been waiting for a UK tour for two years and it was worth the wait. All-in-all it was a truly magical performance and I night I will cherish forever.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous! I tried to get tickets for me & my boyfriend to see them, but they had sold out or cost a fortune on eBay!

    Kate x
    http://chaos-point.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know your thoughts, I love to hear your comments.

Coco xx