Saturday 4 July 2009

Glasto was a blasto!


Trash City and the crowd at Blur, Pyramid Stage

Apologies for the lack of posts of late, I have been at the world famous Glastonbury Festival, aka heaven. This was my second Glasto and it has confirmed in my mind that there really is nothing like it on earth. The sights, the people, the production, the outfits and obviously the music are all out of this world. There is no way to sum up the adventure in one blog but here goes with my attempt...

A personal favourite at Glastonbury is Trash City, this is just one of the many areas within the festival. Trash City is like a mini town with full on structures, bashed up helicopters and even complete nightclubs. It is difficult to remember that you are actually on a farm! The area is mind bending full of the weird and wonderful, just what we were looking for in the wee hours of the morning. I spent one evening after hours at Trash City's NYC's Downlow, this is the world's first travelling gay disco. With half the roof bombed-out and transvestites dancing on the roof, heckling passers by and inviting others in, it is no surprise that there were queues to get in. 'Queues?' I hear you cry? Yes unfortunately there were queues to get in. I blagged my way to the front with the help of a friends artist pass (thanks Marc). Once in you are hit by the heat, the tremendous bass and the fabulous drag artists (god knows how they looked that good when they had to get ready in a field!!).

Blur closing the event on the Sunday night was an epic encounter I will never forget. The sun set during their 2 hour performance and the vibe was relaxed and calm whilst being exciting and energetic. To see a band I grew up on reform and play to what looked like the whole festival (200,000 people) was a privilege and I feel that it was just as emotional for the band as Damon Albarn broke down mid-set with a few tears.

Other musical highlights for me included Dizzy Rascal, The Klaxons, a lesser known dub-step MC named Kof, he hosted a stage in the BBC Introducing tent (watch this space, a great crowd pleaser), Neil Young and of course 'The Boss', Bruce Springsteen. A disappointing performance came from N.E.R.D, they performed on the main Pyramid stage. Their set lacked volume, classic hits, energy and connection with the crowd. They were 40 mins late on set and as a result got cut short before they could finish and even thank the crowd, a very angry Pharrell tried to continue without a mic but eventually gave in. Bloc Party on the other hand had great connection with the crowd and their set had an electric and punchy vibe. The crowd was very pushy and slightly on the aggressive side but that added to the true rock 'n' roll feeling. White Lies were incredible and although relatively new, therefore lacking in lots of hits, they still held the crowd's attention and did a noteworthy cover of Springsteen's Dancing in the Dark.

Although I could go on for hours about what I can only describe as the best week of my life, I am going to have to cut it short. All I have left to say is thank you. Thank you to my Glastonbury family (it wouldn't have been the same without you), thank you to the boy for carrying all our stuff in the blistering heat, thank you to the acts that made me dance even though I had not slept in days and most importantly, THANK YOU GLASTO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts, I love to hear your comments.

Coco xx