Saturday 6 March 2010

Through the looking glass...

We have seen re-workings of our favourite childhood fairy tales turn into major Hollywood blockbusters in the past year. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Chronicles of Narnia and recently Tim Burton's latest master piece; Alice in Wonderland (which I saw in 3D last night- go see it!). On a separate project from this blog I have been exploring the reason behind why fantasy and fairytale has become so popular in recent times. I feel it's the day-to-day pressure of modern life, or maybe the strain of the economic crisis we faced last year, something is turning us into dreamers and causing the urge to find escapism.
This need of escapism is translating into other realms of life such as television (I would never have guessed Dr Who would have come back with vengeance), reality TV is taking a downturn and this optimistic approach with good winning over evil is even affecting what we wear.
The catwalks for SS10 have shown a girlie fairytale vibe from pretty dresses to muted tones and candy colours for womenswear and top hats, beige, bow ties and pocket watches for men.

Gingham check and floaty fabrics from Christopher Kane

Ditsy florals and ankle socks at Ralph Lauren

Mad Hatter inspiration from Kinder Aggugini

Tiny 'drink me' bottles from Balmain

Mad Hatter chic at Kenzo

Beige at Jill Sander

I'm loving this trend and the quintessential English tea party feel that I'm getting from it. Now, all I need to find is a rabbit in a waistcoat and a gingham check picnic blanket and I'll be ready for summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts, I love to hear your comments.

Coco xx